Know your topic and your audience: then write clearly and purposefully.
As a professional expert in freelance writing and research, I have written numerous books, websites, CD-ROMs, conference papers, newsletters, academic chapters…tailored to suit audience and purpose.
I have written about a number of topics, including:
- Aboriginal cultural studies
- drugs and alcohol harm minimisation
- student engagement
- child protection
- vocational education and training
- strategies to engage young people at risk of disengagement
- domestic violence
- students with disabilities and learning difficulties
- education in the early years.
I have written for a range of audiences, including:
- children and young people
- school leaders
- policy makers
- parents and families.
My writing has included:
- published books
- curriculum documents
- pedagogy documents
- policy documents
An experienced researcher
Without research there is no writing—research to gain:
- a deep understanding of the topic, the territory and the context
- an insight into audience—what do they already know and what do they need to know?
- an excellent grasp of message purpose—is it to persuade, to inform?
My research has included both primary research, such as one to one interviews and focus groups, as well as secondary research, including books, journal articles, legislation and academic papers.
The tools of excellence
Writing requires a deep understanding of language and the strategies of powerful communication. Whatever it is you’re writing, you’ll need to draw on the tools of persuasive appeal. These three elements, coined by Aristotle, are essential for any effective piece of writing:
- logos (logical) – is the writing well reasoned, clear and logical, making good use of supporting evidence?
- ethos (credible) – does the tone, tenor and language of the writing suggest a writer who is authoritative and trustworthy?
- pathos (emotional) – does the writing have an emotional and imaginative impact on the audience so they can identify with the author and the message?
Incorporating these elements into your writing will make your message more convincing and persuasive, regardless of whether you are informing, persuading or entertaining.
Whether provided with materials from which to construct resources, to undertaking my own primary and secondary research, I collaborate with my client to create for them targeted and powerful communications.
As both an experienced writer and editor, I bring a greater suite of proficiencies to every communicative text than if I had skills in only one sub-set.